How to display special characters?
Some notices have words in special scripts: Egyptian hieroglyphics, Coptic, South Arabian, Linear B; and you could meet some difficulties in the display.
In general, if the display is not correct, you may need to add a special font to your system. We advise you to download the fonts offered by Google Noto Fonts. (No need to install all the fonts: Choose only those which are missing!)
However, your browser may have difficulties to display some scripts, even if the needed fonts are all present on your system.
- Firefox will display all scripts without difficulty if you have downloaded and installed the fonts before.
- Microsoft Edge will not display Linear B.
- Google Chrome will not display Linear B.
For all other scripts, you should have no particular difficulty with any of these browsers.
To test your system, you can consult the following records:
- for Egyptian hieroglyphics: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/137880
- for Coptic: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/33186
- for South Arabian: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/98783
- for Linear B: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/43944
- for Syriac and Chaldean: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/155206
- for Geʿez and Amharic: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/authority/35433
- for Tifinagh: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/179654
- for Georgian and Cyrillic: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/92203
- for Armenian: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/96511
- for Japanese: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/120026
- for Chinese: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/77376
- for Devanagari: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/64885
- for Kannada: https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/manifestation/157084
- for Tibetan: https:/alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/work/view/208503